Sunday 16 March 2014

Cockabilly 28 February 2014 DJ Set List



The last Friday of the month can only mean one thing: gay greasers uniting to rock around the cock at Cockabilly (London’s only regular queer rockabilly night) at the ultra-Bohemian George and Dragon in Shoreditch.

The triumphant January Cockabilly definitely started 2014 on a high. Happily, the February one continued the trend. The sole glitch: the projector wasn't working – so no Teaserama burlesque footage of Bettie Page or Tempest Storm bumping, grinding and pouting on the big screen this time.

During my hour-long slot, I didn't feel quite as in control as I would've liked. I think my set list looks messy and disjointed! It felt a bit rushed and chaotic this time, but most importantly the heaving crowd was genuinely wild, enthusiastic and dancing. My priority was to keep them dancing so I brazenly stuck to crowd-pleasing good-natured kitsch (think frantic twist music, punk, surf, greasy rhythm and blues, rock’n’roll. They even loved the hillbilly stuff).

Roll, on March Cockabilly! (For anyone London-based, it’s Friday 28 March 2014). It’ll be divoon! 



/ Could these two be more Cockabilly? /

Batman Theme - Link Wray
Margaya - The Fender Four
That's Why I'm Asking - Carl Dobkins Jr
I Want Your Love - The Enchanters
I Got a Rocket in My Pocket - Jimmy Lloyd
Lonesome Me - Johnny Cash
Funnel of Love - Wanda Jackson
Breathless - Arlie Neaville
Year 1 - X
Heartbreak Hotel - Buddy Love
Little Lil - Mel Dorsey
Here Comes the Bug - The Rumblers
Heartbreakin' Special - Duke Larson
Willie Joe - The Mystery Trio
Beat Party - Ritchie and The Squires
He's the One - Ike and Tina Turner
Party Lights - Claudine Clark
Where's My Money? Willie Jones
You're Driving Me Crazy - Dorothy Berry
Jim Dandy - Sara Lee and The Spades
Chicken Grabber - The Nite Hawks
Dance with Me, Henry - Ann-Margret
Big Bounce - Shirley Caddell
How Come You Do Me? Junior Thompson
Whistle Bait - Larry Collins
Rock Around the Clock - The Sex Pistols
Lucille - Masaaki Hirao
My Baby Does the Hanky Panky - Rita Chao and The Quests
Viens danser le twist - Johnny Hallyday
Suey - Jayne Mansfield
I Walk Like Jayne Mansfield - The 5,6,7,8s



/ If you've read down this far, you get a bonus vintage beefcake pin-up. Have you ever seen a more delicious young juvenile delinquent? Now that's what I call a "pleasure trail" /

Further reading: If you like the shot above, boldly explore the shadowy, forbidden world of my tumblr page. A world people talk about in whispers and in words not used in polite conversation. Hidden shames. Furtive pleasures. Strange passions. Some may find it shocking. Some may find it sensational. But no one who visits it will ever forget it. (NSFW).

Read about previous Cockabilly nights herehereherehereherehereherehere and here


No comments:

Post a Comment